The South African government is currently hosting a climate change summit. According to the designated website the purpose and objectives of the summit are as follows:
The purpose of the Climate Change Summit 2009 is to:
- Provide all key climate change response stakeholders with an update on the most recent climate change research and other current South African initiatives and interventions; and
- Provide a platform for all key climate change response stakeholders to discuss and agree the framework for a National Climate Change Response Policy that includes, among others, fiscal, regulatory and legislative packages as well as sectoral implementation plans.
By the end of the summit –
- All key climate change response stakeholders have a common understanding of the most recent climate change research and other South African climate change response initiatives and interventions;
- A detailed policy framework (comprehensive annotated table of contents) is broadly supported;
- The roles and responsibilities of sector departments in respect to the development of the sector policy components is agreed;
- All policy development timelines and milestones are agreed;
- The implications and intentions of all policy directions are understood.